Reflecting on the weeks task

Just to keep track of the content we are covering in the unit I’m going to blog about each week. It’s not overly interesting but I figure it will help me file the information from the unit and also give me practice in blogging.

I’m using questions directly from the criteria for assignment 1 in the EST430 Unit Guide.

Week 2: Edublog

• Where and how you could use these tools in a classroom (AND) How teachers and/or students could use these tools

I think edublog could be used in the classroom in a varity of contexts, from something simple as having students use it as a type of diary or journal for recording thoughts or experiences that they have had. I would include it in a literacy-writing block once a week either on a Monday for recording weekend activities or on a Friday to reflect on the week at school. The bonus of this is that the teacher can read and reply to each student online, making a the lesson completely immersed  in ICT.   

• What implications does the use of these tools have for the curriculum

VELS standards for information and communication technology in the area of ‘ICT for Communicating’ states that students work towards having the ability to experiement and idendifty different communication methods and select a mode that is suited to the situation by the completion of primary school. Using a mode such as edublog in the classroom is an effective way of introducing a safe and approved site to students to improve their knowledge and experience in blogging and internet communication. 

• What implications does the use of these tools have for pedagogy

• What are the positives associated with use of these tools

Edublog is a student-safe site that students can use as an introduction to blogging and internet based communication.

• What are the negatives associated with use of these tools

May take focus and use off the Ultranet which is aimed at being the public school systems ICT tool.

• Why or why not would you continue to use these tools in your classroom

I would use edublog as an example of a communication tool on the internet in the classroom. I would use it on a continual basis if it proved to be user-friendly and students found it engaging.

2 thoughts on “Reflecting on the weeks task

1. Thats a great way if keeping track, another idea that im trialling out is to categorise the posts. i set up a new category each week and then they appear in my side bar as week1-edmodo, week2- blog etc.. seems to be working ok 🙂

2. Hi Trudie, Thanks for your comment! What your doing sounds like a great idea! Where about is the categorise tab??? I haven’t seen it…. But then I’m not really sure on how to use most of the features!
    Cheers,
    Davina